Discussion ClosedThis discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one,click here.

Interpretation of charge distribution in magneto-optical metasurface simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I am studying a magneto-optical metasurface consisting of Co disks deposited on a thin SiO2 layer, a thin Co layer and a massive Au layer. I'm using the Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain module. A circularly polarized wave is incident perpendicularly on the metasurface (I set Ex=1 and Ey=j; is that correct?). When I plot the calculated charge distribution with (nxemw.Px+nyemw.Py+nzemw.Pz), I got a dipolar charge distribution, so I guess I got a snapshot of the charge distribution at a time that I don't know. This distribution is shown in the attached figure. If I had seen a time-averaged charge distribution I would have expected a monopolar distribution. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help

Alberto

2 Replies Last Post 2023年8月23日 GMT+2 13:23
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年8月22日 GMT+2 21:21
Updated: 1 year ago 2023年8月22日 GMT+2 22:09

Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P isnota time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plotabs( )of the expression that you wrote.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P is *not* a time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plot *abs( )* of the expression that you wrote.

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年8月23日 GMT+2 13:23

Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P isnota time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plotabs( )of the expression that you wrote.

Thank you for your precise and clear answer.

Alberto

>Fields computed in the frequency domain formulation are complex valued. Your plot of the normal component (that's the component of the vector along a surface normal, not to be confused with the "norm" of a vector!) of the polarization P is *not* a time-averaged value. Rather, it is simply a plot of the real-value part of a complex term. If you want to plot the magnitude of the P vector, plot emw.normP instead. If you want the magnitude of the specific vector component that you described in your post, plot *abs( )* of the expression that you wrote. Thank you for your precise and clear answer. Alberto

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL®software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via theSupport Centerfor a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.

Baidu
map