Flow resistivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I have a technical question. I have a rectangular geometry and inside it I have several small spheres to simulate a false porous medium. My study is acoustic (Acoustic pressure in the frequency domain). Is there a way to account for the flow resistivity in this medium using formulas in COMSOL?

4 Replies Last Post 2024年6月13日 GMT+2 06:41
Mark Cops COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 months ago 2024年6月6日 GMT+2 17:20

For modeling the acoustics of porous materials, there are a few different approaches:

• Use a Poroacoustic Material model in Pressure acoustics. This is a fluid-equivalent homogenized model, so the geometry will only be the macro scale and not include any microstructure. The material model gets assigned to the entire domain. The flow resistivity is a common input to some Poroacoustic material models. https://doc.comsol.com/6.2/docserver/#!/com.comsol.help.aco/aco_ug_pressure.05.005.html

• Use Poroelastic Waves interfaces to model the porous material based on Biot Theory

• Use Thermoviscous Acoustics to model the detailed viscous and thermal losses that occur in boundary layers surrounding the fluid-microstructure interface. In this case, the geometry includes the detailed microstructure. This is usually only feasible for a unit cell due to the scale.

The first approach is the easiest and most lightweight approach.

-Mark

For modeling the acoustics of porous materials, there are a few different approaches: - Use a Poroacoustic Material model in Pressure acoustics. This is a fluid-equivalent homogenized model, so the geometry will only be the macro scale and not include any microstructure. The material model gets assigned to the entire domain. The flow resistivity is a common input to some Poroacoustic material models. https://doc.comsol.com/6.2/docserver/#!/com.comsol.help.aco/aco_ug_pressure.05.005.html - Use Poroelastic Waves interfaces to model the porous material based on Biot Theory - Use Thermoviscous Acoustics to model the detailed viscous and thermal losses that occur in boundary layers surrounding the fluid-microstructure interface. In this case, the geometry includes the detailed microstructure. This is usually only feasible for a unit cell due to the scale. The first approach is the easiest and most lightweight approach. -Mark

Posted: 3 months ago 2024年6月7日 GMT+2 02:01

Thanks Mark, my case is that I need to obtain (for scientific purposes) the acoustic parameters of the porous medium such as absorption, reflection, transmission loss, tortuosity and flow resistivity (Sigma). I studied the first three and managed to plot them in COMSOL, now the flow resistivity and tortuosity, although they are formulas, I cannot implement them analytically in COMSOL (in the variables tab!).

Thanks Mark, my case is that I need to obtain (for scientific purposes) the acoustic parameters of the porous medium such as absorption, reflection, transmission loss, tortuosity and flow resistivity (Sigma). I studied the first three and managed to plot them in COMSOL, now the flow resistivity and tortuosity, although they are formulas, I cannot implement them analytically in COMSOL (in the variables tab!).

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 months ago 2024年6月7日 GMT+2 08:31

There should no issue in implementing a formula under variables. Which error message do you get? Also, have a look at the JCA models under Poroacoustics. You can enter user defined expressions here as desired.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
There should no issue in implementing a formula under variables. Which error message do you get? Also, have a look at the JCA models under Poroacoustics. You can enter user defined expressions here as desired.

Raja Kumar Acoustics & Vibration

Posted: 3 months ago 2024年6月13日 GMT+2 06:41

You need to learn 1) AFR testing standard 2) CFD module will be needed to find the AFR

-------------------
iamrajakumar@iitkgp.ac.in
iamrajakr@gmail.com
You need to learn 1) AFR testing standard 2) CFD module will be needed to find the AFR

Please read thediscussion forum rulesbefore posting.

Pleaselog into post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL®software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via theSupport Centerfor a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.

Baidu
map