Unstable solution in PDE System

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a problem with a system of differential equations in which one variable has an unstable solution.

I suspect this instability is because the problem is advective and with FEM advective problems are usually unstable. However, I find it strange that COMSOL does not have a stabilization system. Is there any way to stabilize the solution?

In one of the scientific articles that I am using as a basis for this work they mention the use of an "orthogonal collocation method" as a variant of the FEM that allows a stable solution. Is there a possibility to solve the problem using this method?

Couldo someone help me with this issue ?

Thank you for your attention.

Best,

2 Replies Last Post 2024年7月23日 GMT+2 19:40
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 months ago 2024年7月11日 GMT+2 08:20

Hi Andres,

It's hard to say what's going on without seeing the model. I suggest that you contact COMSOL Support for assistance. That said, COMSOL Multiphysics includes several stabilization measures for convection- or advection-dominated equations. See the "Numerical Stabilization" section in theCOMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manualfor more information.

Best regards, Magnus

Hi Andres, It's hard to say what's going on without seeing the model. I suggest that you contact COMSOL Support for assistance. That said, COMSOL Multiphysics includes several stabilization measures for convection- or advection-dominated equations. See the "Numerical Stabilization" section in the *COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual* for more information. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 1 month ago 2024年7月23日 GMT+2 19:40

Hi Magnus,

Thank you very much for this information.

Best, Andres

Hi Magnus, Thank you very much for this information. Best, Andres

Please read thediscussion forum rulesbefore posting.

Pleaselog into post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL®software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via theSupport Centerfor a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.

Baidu
map